By: Trey Walker
Some athletes love exposure. Some love seeing themselves on front page headlines or getting the postgame interview on live TV. Other players are quiet. They show up to media day so they “won’t get fined”. At OT Sports we have seen a guy who has handled his trip through the media in an unorthodox way. Johnny Manziel has experienced ups and downs in his career. Right now, it continues to be tanking quickly.
- December 6th, 1992: Johnny Manziel was born in Tyler, Texas to his parents, Michele and Paul.
- Fall 2009: Manziel named starting QB of Tivy High School
- September 20th, 2010: Johnny Maiziel flips his college commitment from Oregon to Texas A&M due to the location
- June 29th, 2012: Before his first game as an Aggie, Manziel was arrested for 3 misdemeanors: disorderly conduct by fighting, failure to identify himself to the police, and possession of a fake ID.
- November 10th, 2012: Texas A&M uses 2 touchdowns from Johnny Football to take down #1 Alabama at home
- July 13th, 2013: Johnny Football leaves the Manning Passing Academy Camp early after an apparent illness.
- August 4th, 2013: NCAA officials announce an investigation in to the alleged violations of signing autographed footballs for money by Manziel.
- August 28th, 2013: The NCAA issues a final ruling after Manziel was found guilty of signing autographs on footballs for compensation. Aggie fans across the country were relieved their Heisman winning QB would only be suspended for the 1st half in their season opener against Rice.
- May 8th, 2014: The Cleveland Browns select Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick in the NFL Draft.
- May 30th, 2014: Manziel threw a water bottle at a heckler at the AT&T Byron Nelson Championship. Although he missed the person, security was called, but no files were charged.
- February 4th, 2015: Johnny Manziel checks into alcohol rehab facility voluntarily.
- April 27th, 2015: Manziel checks himself out of rehab.
- October 16th, 2015: After spending 10 weeks in rehab, Johnny Manziel reappears on the front page after he is pulled by police members. Although all charges were dropped, one witness testified to an argument between Manziel and his girlfriend in his car.
- November 25th, 2015: Browns head coach, Mike Pettine, announces that Josh McCown would start in the place of Manziel after a video surfaced of the former Aggie drinking alcohol and acting improperly in a night club.
- January 6th, 2016: LRMR, Manziel’s marketing agency, announced that they would no longer represent their client.
- February 5th, 2016: Johnny Football’s agent, Erik Burkhardt terminated his professional relationship as Manziels agent.
- March 11, 2016: Browns release Manziel from franchise.
- April 19th, 2016: This day must have really sucked for Johnny Football. His new agent, Drew Rosenhaus fired Manziel from being his athlete, and Nike cut all ties with him as well.
- April 24th, 2016: A grand jury indicts Manziel for the domestic assault charges (against his girlfriend) that were filed earlier, when the case was re-opened.
- June 24, 2016: Manziel’s father tells ESPN members (regarding Johnny) that he “hopes he will go to jail” and “If I have to bury him, I will bury him”
The tale of Johnny Football is the gift that keeps on giving. Whether he is slightly intoxicated in clubs, abusing his girlfriend, or throwing water bottles at people, you can always count on Johnny Manziel to keep it interesting.
CNN, Wikipedia, SB Nation